Top 5 Polish Choices - Fall 2014

13 October 2014

Hi Everyone,

Today's post is a little different from what you usually see on My Life in Turquoise. With Fall in full swing, I decided to post about my five favourite polish choices for this chilly season.

You might be asking yourself... where can I purchase these polishes? Well, I recently discovered Raise.com, a great website where you can purchase discounted gift cards as well as sell your unwanted gift cards for cash! The Beauty Category features gift cards from several retailers that sell a variety of nail polish brands including Sephora, Ulta Beauty, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Sally Beauty Supply, Walmart and The Body Shop.

I wanted to show all of you a variety of brands and colours that are available in the stores featured on Raise.com so that you can grab up these products at a discounted price! My top 5 picks are also from recent releases (within the last 2 to 3 monthts) so if you love any of these shades in particular, you can pick it up in stores today!

Although I am showing you specific polishes that I love, you can definitely find similar shades in other brands for each of the 5 colours I have picked as my favourites for Fall 2014!

Top 5 Polish Choices Fall 2014


1. Turquoise

My first pick is obviously based on my favourite colour... turquoise! It is not a traditional colour for fall and yes, it is not a true turquoise... but I wear turquoise all year round and always find a polish in the turquoise colour spectrum that is season-appropriate. For fall, I was lookig for a lighter muted turquoise with a dustiness about it and this greyed version of turquoise is the perfect fit.

Grey Matters: Sally Hansen miracle GEL
Colour: Light Turquoise | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: Yes (Sally Hansen Miracle Gel)

Comments: It only took 2 coats to reach full opacity followed by 1 coat of the special Sally Hansen Miracle Gel topcoat for a super glossy finish. Launched in August 2014, miracle GEL is Sally Hansen's latest product line and comes in 47 different shades! Sally Hansen claims that with the special top coat, this manicure should last 14 days. However, as I was swatching for this post specifically, I have not been able to test the product's claims.

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Grey Matters

2. Brown

A few months ago, I would never have believed that brown nail polish would soon become one of my favourite polish colours! Almost every nail polish brand has their own version of a brown polish and they all look gorgeous. It is such a cosy colour that adds drama to your nails without being vampy and many shades remind me of chocolate... which is always a bonus!

Lug Your Designer Baggage: China Glaze
Colour: Brown | Finish: Flakes | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No

Comments: It only took 2 coats to reach full opacity and although it is pretty glossy without topcoat, I would suggest it to give it a smoother finish. I specifically those this shade from the China Glaze Fall 2014 Collection, All Aboard, because I am in love with the golden flakes, which further warm up this cosy brown! Like it's name suggests, it feels like a deconstructed version of a classic Louis Vuitton bag in brown leather with the iconic gold print.

China Glaze Lug Your Designer Baggage

3. Red

Red is a classic colour that looks great all year round. However, it is important to find the right shade of red that works perfectly for the season and in this case, I chose a darker red. You can even go darker into wine-coloured, oxblood and burgundy shades for your pick of red polish in the Fall.

Dress to Kilt: essie
Colour: Red | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No

Comments: My favourite essie formula... pigmented yet thin and smooth to apply. You can get this glossy, deep red on your fingers in 2 thin coats and no topcoat. This polish is the namesake of the essie Fall 2014 Collection and is the classic red you need for this Fall. It can be used for nail art (Fall Half Moon & Leopard Print) and I bet it would work well with stamping because of it's pigmentation.

essie dress to kilt

4. Gold

I am attracted to the various shades of yellow, ochre and oranges as I see the colours of the leaves changing around me. Since bold, bright colours belong to the summer, gold is the perfect way to capture the warmth and essence of the burnt yellow in the leaves and the glow of sun. I love this particular shade because of its bronze and copper undertones but there are many options out there that capture the various shades of gold in different finishes that you can be sure to find one that works for you perfectly!

OPI With a Nice Finn-ish: OPI
Colour: Gold/Bronze | Finish: Foil | # of Coats: 3 | Topcoat: No

Comments: This shade required 3 coats for consistent opacity because of some dragging after the second coat. It also requires careful application to avoid brushstrokes due to its foil finish. I specifically chose this shade from the OPI Nordic Collection (Fall 2014), because of the strong bronze undertone, which warms up this gold perfectly for Fall. It works perfectly as a base for nail art (Fall Waterfall) as well as stamping (Damask Print)!

OPI With a Nice Finn-ish

5. Dark Blue

My love for the colour blue does not end at turquoise.. dark blue is another great option for this season. You can pick a shade of blue ranging for a bright cobalt blue to a dark (almost black) navy and it would be perfect for this season! My pick brings a perfect balance between the brightness of a cobalt and the darkness of a navy blue.

Crazy for Blue: Colour Crush Nails by The Body Shop
Colour: Blue | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No

Comments: This shade required 2 coats for perfect opacity... in fact you could get away with one coat if applied with a heavy hand. The Colour Crush nail polishes are part of the newest product line at The Body Shop and come in 23 different shades! These nail polishes are five-free, 100% vegan, quick drying and have a high gloss finish. I used this shade as the perfect base for a simple polka dot manicure hereBonus: You have the option of purchasing a gift card for another retailer that has not been known for its nail polishes in the past!

The Body Shop Crazy for Blue

I tried to show a variety of colour choices in a variety of finishes from 5 different nail polish brands. I hope that breaking it down into 5 main colours helps you pick the best shades for Fall and my personal picks provides you the option of buying the latest seasonal products in stores today!

I would love to hear your thoughts as I am thinking of making this a regular seasonal post featuring my Top 5 Polish Choices. Hope you enjoyed today's post!

- Hetal

4 comments:

  1. Dress to Kilt is a killer color..I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is... so is the rest of the collection! Will be posting the essie Fall 2014 Collection soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Get rid of your bad habits and you should see a difference! satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top